Turn Your Home Into a Mini Gym
By: Anthony Dominguez, Certified Personal Trainer and Thrive Team Member
As an online personal fitness trainer, one of the common most trends I’m starting to see is that more people are looking to exercise at home. Often times this is due to busy schedules, the fact that they don’t want to fight traffic to and from the gym, or that they don’t want to deal with the crowd at busy gyms after work. Because of that I get more and more clients asking me to create programs that they can do at home and wondering what equipment should they get. If that describes you, here are my Top 5 at-home pieces of exercise equipment.
- TRX – The TRX system is a one stop shop for full body workouts that provide you an opportunity to workout out anywhere. You have the ability to increase or decrease the difficulty of the exercise based on the angle that you stand. It’s portable, light weight, and pretty cost effective for what you can do with them and how durable they are. The best part is you can hit every muscle group in your body.
- Bosu Ball – The bosu ball is a great tool for creating a proprioceptive environment while exercising. Proprioceptive creates an unstable yet controlled environment. This really helps burn additional calories and causes you to tighten your core for overall strength. It can be used on both sides to increase or decrease stability.
- Adjustable Dumbells – Adjustable dumbells are in the Top 5 for at-home exercise equipment because they are so versatile. They can be used to do a variety of exercises and incorporated to hit different muscle groups. They don’t take up as much space as a full set of different weights and they can be used in a variety of exercises.
- Exercise Stability Ball – A stability ball is another great tool to have in your arsenal at home. A stability ball provides another proprioceptive platform for exercises you can’t do with the bosu ball. It’s cheap and especially useful for different types of exercises for your core.
- Foam Roller – If you’re not a believer in the foam roller yet, become one. If you’re hitting your exercises with intensity you should be feeling sore. Foam roller’s provide self-myofascial release and improves blood circulation in the muscles and body. They are a great product for reducing soreness, correcting muscle imbalances and helps prevent injury. There a many more benefits to a foam roller but I’ll save that for another post.
Exercising at home has its challenges but that’s when you don’t have some basic equipment such as my Top 5: at home exercise equipment. It can also be a challenge if you don’t know how to put it all together when you get this equipment. That’s when an online personal fitness trainer like myself can help you. So contact me today for a free consultation and let’s achieve your health and fitness goals together.
Anthony Dominguez is a Thrive for Life Expert, certified personal fitness trainer, TRX trainer, and a military fitness specialist in the United States Marine Corps. He is owner of Alter’d Body Health & Fitness, LLC and specializes in creating customized fitness, nutrition, and wellness programs for people. Visit his online training platform at Alterdbody.trainerize.com.